I'm Growing A Tiny Human: 1st Trimester

This is my second draft of this post because the first one was a little all over the place, I’m not entirely sure how to set out these posts to make them somewhat interesting and not just a bunch of randomness on a page. 

I feel like I’m the last one to the party really, like these past couple of weeks a lot of people have already been writing posts just like this one and making their own announcements. So if you haven’t already guessed from the title I’m pregnant and what feels like the last one to shout from the rooftops

1st Trimester


I wanted to document everything in a book and on here but I got so far then just stopped updating the post, plus what I had already written was getting a little rambley.

So let’s start with a little background information, My boyfriend is divorced with 3 kids and while he was married they decided for him to have a vasectomy so it was a long time of us discussing things about him have that reversed but that is a post for another day. Anyway he had the reversal in January and I expected things to take at least 6 months before his swimmers started to make any effort, I was clearly proved wrong when we fell pregnant about 2 months after the reversal.

WEEKS 1-5

I was 4w + 6d when we actually found out. I had a pretty good idea when my period didn’t arrive on time but things got in the way and it took me a couple of days to actually take a test. So the first 5 weeks were pretty straight forward because I didn’t know.

WEEKS 5-10

I’ve been reading a lot because I have never done this before so everything is completely new to me and seeing as we had decided not to tell anyone until we’d had our first scan I didn’t really have anyone to ask either, so I was preparing myself for the worst but I have been incredibly lucky, I have felt a little sick but I haven’t actually been sick, I’ve been super tired and had to have naps when I’ve been getting home from work and my sciatica flares up all the time but that is pretty much as bad as it got. Everything has been pretty smooth.


WEEKS 10-13

Everything has been pretty straight forward, I started to feel a little less tired all the time and I never really felt all that sicky, I’ve had a couple of aches in my stomach as things have been growing a moving around and I still get these just not as often and after about week 10 I guess I just generally started to feel less pregnant, I was feeling much better in myself, having less aches so when we went for our 12 week scan I was pretty shocked to see a tiny little baby in there, even if it did represent an alien a little. Good heartbeat which we could see on the screen, we never actually got to hear it, but still amazing to see that, that tiny little thing is living inside of me. 

Other than that 10 minutes of seeing the baby on the scan it still doesn’t feel real to me, I don’t really have a bump, and everything has gone pretty smoothly so I’m still startled to think that I’m growing an actual human being.

TESTS

This is a little harder for me to talk about without welling up. We were offered the screening tests or Down Syndrome, Edward’s and Patau’s at my midwife appointment so I agreed with the knowledge that we could change our minds. I spoke to my boyfriend about the tests and he said as long as it’s nothing that’ll hurt the baby we might as well have them, but in all honesty we should have spoken more about having them because I didn’t want them. 

All it is, is a blood test from me and a measurement of the baby’s neck, so nothing invasive.

Whether the baby has any of these doesn’t make a difference and we would still continue with the pregnancy so having both agreed to that, I didn’t need to know, because I knew I would just worry throughout it all, but he wanted to tests so I agreed and our first set of tests came back low rick for Edward’s and Patau’s but a 1 in 64 chance of Downs Syndrome.

We have since had a second blood test and are waiting for those results but I’m a little bit of a mess waiting for these results, I’d rather have just not known anything. I panic about anything and everything now which is what I didn’t want, I run various scenarios through my head all day and night and I just can’t help it. 

We are due on November 29th and I am counting down the days.
HAYLEY

1 comment

  1. Congratulations on your little blessing! I know exactly how you feel about the tests, that is the very same reason my husband and I decided to not take them. We put everything in God's hand, and if our baby is born with Down Syndrome, or any genetic mutation, that won't stop us from loving him or her with all of our hearts. So far our pregnancy has been going smoothly and our baby is very healthy - I'm sure your baby will be happy and healthy too. Good luck and blessings to you both!

    ReplyDelete